Technical upgrades are made periodically to the Ethereum protocol. Upgrades typically comprise of Core Ethereum Improvement Proposals (EIPs) that have achieved consensus across the Ethereum clients & community.
The Ethereum Cat Herders supports network upgrade activity in a number of ways:
- Organising proposal & upgrades specific community calls
- Documenting client Meetings
- Socialize proposals and build educational resources through the Peep an EIP video series
- Outreaching Ethereum projects & infrastructure providers to weigh-in community sentiments for improvement proposals
- Process improvement and communication
In the section below you can find more information on past and upcoming network upgrades.
This is the first planned network upgrade for the Beacon chain (Ethereum 2.0). It is already activated on the Prater testnet. Follow the consensus monitor shared by Alex Stokes.
- Mainnet upgrade date - Wednesday, 27th of October
- Planned for epoch - 74240
- Expected time - 10:56:23 UTC
- Ethereum Foundation's Altair Mainnet Announcement
|Client||Version Number||Release Link|
This is a planned upgrade to delay the difficulty bomb to be noticeable in May 2022.
It is expected in December 2021 with deploying the EIP-4345: Difficulty Bomb Delay to May 2022 on the Ethereum mainnet.
Authors Tim Beiko & James Hancock propose the difficulty bomb to push to 10,500,000 blocks later than the actual block number. It is targeting for the Shanghai upgrade and/or the Merge to occur before May 2022. Either the bomb can be readjusted at that time, or removed altogether.
To understand how “Difficulty bomb” works in Ethereum blockchain, follow the recording of PEEPanEIP #39: Difficulty bomb & EIP-3554 with James Hancock
The network upgrade progress tracker helps with keeping track of improvement proposals in different phases of network upgrade. Clients' development and integration can be followed on the latest version of the developer's testnet. Read Shedding light on the Ethereum Network Upgrade Process for more information
Ethereum blockchain upgrades
06/24/2016 read more
Frontier Thawing 200000 09/07/2015 read more
Frontier 1 07/30/2015 read more